Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Response to An Insightful Comment

I wanted to take the opportunity to respond to bytwerk's insightful comments on my post about persuasive strategies that McCain could employ. In general, I will stand by my advice. But, I want to clarify and elaborate.

(1) It is essential that John McCain not do the attacking. As academics have known for years, individuals who bear bad news are not well received (even if the bad news is true, which is rarely the case in politics). Hence my comment that "John McCain must pick a strong VP who can effectively smear and destroy the Obama aura." In my opinion, for whatever it is worth, bytwerk is correct that it would be out of character for John McCain to make these types of attacks. However, through a VP, PAC, and 527 group, McCain must smear Obama and remove the aura from him.

(2) I would not attack Obama's patriotism with anything but his own comments and actions. Attacking people's patriotism can be, as bytwerk pointed out, extremely dangerous business. But, it can also be very effective (we'll let John Kerry confirm this as he should know about how damaging it can be when you are Swiftboated). So, for example, I would use the following recent quote from Michelle Obama: "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country" (source)
I would also pick up on Obama's decision to stop wearing the American flag on a suit-pin (source). Granted both of these examples are really minor when it comes to the grand scheme of things, but many political attacks take minor things and blow them out of proportion.

In my opinion, John McCain is going to have to use some element of fear to motivate conservatives to go out to the pole. The bottom line is that these voters are not enthused about John McCain (consider, for example, Mike Huckabee's astonishing success given his low budget an John McCain's inevitability.) But, John McCain could motivate these voters with fear about an Obama presidency on the following fronts:
  • "Surrender" and "defeat" in the war on terror
  • Higher taxes
  • "Amnesty" for illegals
  • "Judges who legislate" from the bench
  • Pro-Choice
Unfortunately for McCain, it is going to be hard to convince conservative voters to be for him. So, he (or, more specifically, his VP) would be best to use a strong dose of fear to attract conservatives and a good dose of "straight talk" experience to attract independents.

Let me take this opportunity to make one final observation concerning the argument that John McCain should make this election about experience.

Although there is no doubt that John McCain should emphasize his experience and Obama's inexperience, I am not as convinced as many that this line of persuasion will work (unless it is done very carefully). Here's why:
  • Hillary Clinton has tried this extensively and it has failed miserably. Granted, John McCain has spent more time in Washington than Hillary Clinton. However, the point still remains that Hillary is far more qualified and experienced than Obama yet voters have utterly rejected this (e.g., Hillary's line has been that she will be "ready on day one") (source; source).
  • When the election becomes about "experience," it is easy for Obama to make it about "change"--an argument that John McCain cannot win. McCain must make the election about national security experience and determination to defeat terrorists (whether this is using 9/11 to scare up votes, as Obama claims, is for another matter)--two areas where McCain can beat Obama.

One final comment: I realize that, to some extent, I am advocating the "same old politics" of slash and burn. Personally, I could not do this as a candidate--especially ad hominem attacks. I feel morally compelled to not engage in these attacks. However, if asked by a candidate what I felt would be the most persuasive strategy, the above is what I would feel bound to say, as I really do believe that a carefully constructed series of attacks on Obama's liberal record and weak national security credentials coupled with a series of targeted ad hominem attacks would be effective.

No comments: