Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Media Coverage of Hillary

There has been a tremendous amount of talk about Hillary Clinton receiving unfair media coverage (source; source; source; source). In fact, at tonight's debate, Hillary herself made remarks to this end:
Well, can I just point out that in the last several debates, I seem to get the first question all the time. And I don't mind. I -- you know, I'll be happy to field them, but I do find it curious, and if anybody saw "Saturday Night Live," you know, maybe we should ask Barack if he's comfortable and needs another pillow. (Laughter, boos.) I just find it kind of curious that I keep getting the first question on all of these issues. But I'm happy to answer it. (transcript) (other; other)

As an aside, I found it interesting that Obama subtly took aim at Hillary for these types of comments which some interpret as being a cry-baby. He said, "And, you know, we haven't whined about [the tough campaign] because I understand that's the nature of these campaigns, but to suggest somehow that our mailing is somehow different from the kinds of approaches that Senator Clinton has taken throughout this campaign I think is simply not accurate." (transcript)

Returning to the media bias question, I thought I would see whether the Reuters photo feed from tonight's debate provided numerous pictures of Clinton that did not appear presidential. Sure enough, there was a litany of pictures that made Clinton appear angry etc. Consider the following:


"US Democratic presidential candidates Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) (R) listens to moderator Tim Russert (L) as she and Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) squared off in the last debate before the Ohio primary in Cleveland, Ohio, February 26, 2008. REUTERS/Matt Sullivan (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)"(source)

"US Democratic presidential candidates Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) square off in the last debate before the Ohio primary in Cleveland, Ohio February 26, 2008. REUTERS/Matt Sullivan (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)" (source)


"US Democratic presidential candidates Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY) and Senator Barack Obama (D-IL) square off in the last debate before the Ohio primary in Cleveland, Ohio, February 26, 2008. REUTERS/Matt Sullivan (UNITED STATES) US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION CAMPAIGN 2008(USA)" (source)

No comments: