Saturday, February 9, 2008

Persuasive Ad Analysis - 2008 - John McCain...Surprisingly Liberal

After examining some of the most persuasive ads of the 2004 presidential election, we move to the 2008 presidential primaries and examine some of the more persuasive ads to date.

Shortly before super Tuesday, as conservative radio commentators railed on John McCain for ostensibly liberal views (ABC News, CNN), Mitt Romney launched a brutal attack on John McCain. I first saw this ad while eating dinner on Monday, February 4. I immediately yelled to a friend of mine in the another part of my apartment to come out and watch it because I knew that this ad could do serious damage to John McCain. In the end, the ad proved to be too little too late. I can only wonder what the race would have looked like if Mitt Romney would have run this ad earlier on and succeeded in painting John McCain as a liberal.


View the ad at YouTube.com

What Makes This Ad Persuasive?
  • Surprise. This ad really took me by surprise. When I saw this ad for the first time (and did not know how the it ended), I immediately assumed that it was an anti-Hillary ad by a conservative 527. However, about half way through when it showed John McCain, I was taken aback. This element of surprise is extremely effective.
  • Guilt by association. If there is anybody that conservatives despise, it is Hillary Clinton. This ad associates John McCain with Hillary Clinton in a pejorative way.
  • Anonymous. The ad is ostensibly supported by a neutral group of concerned citizens.

2 comments:

Randall Bytwerk said...

Do you think a female narrator is significant in this ad? I also noticed the background music, with a rather ominous tone.

unspun said...

There is no doubt that the ominous music plays a role in the persuasive strategy of the advertisement.

About the female narrator, I am not sure whether it is entirely significant. There are plenty of smear ads with male narrators, but it may well be deliberate here for reasons I do not see.