Saturday, February 2, 2008

Clinton Tries Inspiration But Its Not Inspiring

Earlier today, I was sitting in my apartment eating dinner and flipping through the TV channels. Unimpressed by the overdone super bowl pregame shows that have been going on for an entire week, I began flipping through the channels hoping to find something more interesting (perhaps the History Channel would have a fascinating special on World War II or CBC would have a good hockey game). I stopped flipping when I saw coverage of Senator Clinton making remarks on the campaign trail in California. After only a few seconds, instead of changing channels, I realized that Senator Clinton had changed her tone and style considerably. So, I kept watching. She was very clearly trying to be inspirational and visionary. My first thought was, "she is trying to sound like Barack Obama." I yelled at my brother in the other room and told him to come and watch. We were both disgusted to see phoniness taken to such a remarkable level. Hillary sounded so contrived and phony. We have both commented that, up to this point in the election, Senator Clinton has offered the most substantiative policy speeches and discussions with voters of any candidate (republican or democratic). However, it is clear that her campaign believes this is not a winning strategy and she is adjusting.

The thoughts that I was misjudging Hillary's approach evaporated when I saw the New York Times offer similar comments. Personally, I am not sure how effective her approach will be, but one thing is for sure: if there was any doubt that Hillary will do anything, say anything, or become anybody in order to get elected, the doubt is now removed.

It is a sad day in politics when persuasion and charisma trump policy and clarity. Consider the New York Time's criticism of Hillary for giving too meaty policy speeches:

"Mrs. Clinton once again showed one of her deficits as a candidate: She simply has trouble pulling off a great rally....No matter the setting, Mrs. Clinton treats nearly every campaign event as a wonk-filled town hall meeting. Rather than whip up the crowd by tossing brickbats at President Bush; rather than tell funny stories or show the sides of herself that Mr. Danson and Ms. Steenburgen hailed; rather than try to deliver her best stemwinder – Mrs. Clinton instead sunk into the weeds of her policy ideas, laying out her plans for tax credits and health care and education reform."

No comments: