Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Debate Analysis

In analyzing the just concluded democratic debate, I wanted to make a number of points on the persuasive strategies and positions that the candidates took. Obviously, this debate was "do-or-die" for Hillary Clinton, who faces the very real prospect of elimination in the March 4th primaries. Please feel free to read a transcript of the debate here.

Clinton Attacks
  • Clinton's first statement was: "in the last several days, some of those differences in tactics and the choices that Senator Obama's campaign has made regarding flyers and mailers and other information that has been put out about my health care plan and my position on NAFTA have been very disturbing to me."
  • Clinton also said: "So we should have a good debate that uses accurate information, not false, misleading, and discredited information, especially on something as important as whether or not we will achieve quality, affordable health care for everyone. That's my goal. That's what I'm fighting for, and I'm going to stand up for that."
  • MSNBC Reported: "Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois came under a full-out assault Tuesday night from Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York in their last debate before crucial primaries in Ohio and Texas that could make or break Clinton’s campaign." (source)

Obama Portrays Clinton As Poor Looser
  • Senator Obama said: "But I think it's very important to understand the context of this, and that is that Senator Clinton has -- her campaign, at least -- has constantly sent out negative attacks on us, e-mail, robocalls, flyers, television ads, radio calls. And, you know, we haven't whined about it because I understand that's the nature of these campaigns, but to suggest somehow that our mailing is somehow different from the kinds of approaches that Senator Clinton has taken throughout this campaign I think is simply not accurate." (emphasis added).
Obama Criticizes Clinton on Judgment
  • Obama said: "Senator Clinton often says that she is ready on day one, but in fact she was ready to give in to George Bush on day one on this critical issue [of invading Iraq]. So the same person that she criticizes for having terrible judgment, and we can't afford to have another one of those, in fact she facilitated and enabled this individual to make a decision that has been strategically damaging to the United States of America."

2 comments:

Randall Bytwerk said...

The "whined about" comment you highlight displays an interesting rhetorical tactic. It suggests, without saying so, that Hillary is the one doing the whining. It's an old technique, but still an effective one, as it allows on to make an attack in the guise of defending oneself.

unspun said...

I certainly agree. Obama has been making a fair number of these comments of late.
For example:
"And if I am your nominee, my opponent will not be able to say that I voted for the war in Iraq, because I didn’t, or that I gave George Bush the benefit of the doubt on Iran, because I haven’t, or that I support the Bush-Cheney doctrine of not talking to leaders we don’t like, because I profoundly disagree with that approach. And he will not be able to say that I wavered on something as fundamental as whether or not it’s OK for America to use torture, because it’s never OK."
Or: "I don't want to spent the next year or the next four years refighting the same fights that we had in the 1990s."