Monday, February 25, 2008

Hillary Unloads Attacks

In the past few days, Hillary Clinton has clearly embarked on a new level of attacks. Clearly, she has come to the realization that her former strategy of light and intermittent attacks is not working. So, she is now attacking full-force.

On Saturday, Clinton attacked Obama on a mailing he put out. Although I could not find the entire transcript of Senator Clinton's remarks, I was able to piece together a rather complete transcript (source; source):

I have to express my deep disappointment — he is continuing to send false and discredited mailings with information that is not true to the voters of Ohio...Enough with the speeches and the big rallies and then using tactics that are right out of Karl Rove’s play book. This is wrong and every Democrat should be outraged...So shame on you Barack Obama. It is time you ran a campaign consistent with your messages in public. That’s what I expect from you. Meet me in Ohio and let’s have a debate about your tactics and your behavior in this campaign.



On Tuesday, Hillary Clinton mocked Obama (source [with video]; source):

Now I could stand up here and say: Let's get everybody together. Let's get unified. The skies will open. The lights will come down. And you know the celestial choirs will be singing. And everyone we know will do the right thing. And the world will be perfect... Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be. You are not going to wave a magic wand to make special interests disappear ... We are not going to wave a magic wand and have the special interests disappear.

Will these attacks work? I don't think so. Hillary looks desperate and spiteful. But, only time will tell whether these attacks were successful.

3 comments:

Randall Bytwerk said...

I particularly like the comparison to Karl Rove. I should think that's the Democratic equivalent of a Republican comparing an opponent to Ted Kennedy,

unspun said...

Bytwerk,

I think that Karl Rove and Dick Cheney have become the Ted Kennedy.

On another note, I find it absolutely astonishing that the Clinton campaign has been lashing out at the media in these difficult times. (see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/25/AR2008022502501_pf.html) Why offend the only group of individuals who can get out your message.

-Unspun

unspun said...

I realized you probably cannot see the link below. The article is:
Team Clinton: Down, and Out of Touch
By Dana Milbank
Tuesday, February 26, 2008; A02
Washington Post